Wednesday, 20 January 2010

A Brief Update

After a few nights of not sleeping particularly well and a certain amount of anxiety over my psychotherapy session and the forthcoming job interview, I took my sleep medication last night and I slept. Admittedly it was nearly 2am before I dropped off but it was definitely the medication causing the sleep because I just could not keep my eyes open a moment longer and I literally fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

I woke up at about 10.30 to answer a call of nature and then climbed back into bed and instantly fell asleep again until nearly 3pm. this means that I have pretty much lost my day, but I do feel completely rested and while it means that I probably won't get any work done on preparing my presentation for the interview today, I will feel better tomorrow and can get to work nice and early and hopefully complete it then.

I went to see my GP yesterday afternoon and I had a lot to tell him. We talked about my being in the mental health loop now after my stay in hospital and how I seem to be getting the help that I need. Then we talked about how the news about Mr Smiley had affected me. My blog was the next subject of conversation. I told him about the Mental Nurse TWIM Award and how my readership has increased dramatically since starting to write the Tackling the Mental Health Minefield posts. Then we talked about the job interview and he wished me luck. Eventually we actually got to the reason that I had gone to see him. Over the last few weeks I have been getting occasional pains in my right leg. They can occur at any time, are excruciatingly painful and last for just a second. The pain is very sharp and feels as though it is in the bone rather than being muscular. "Shin splints" he said and had a look at my leg and the place where I was feeling the pain. So with a weight off my mind knowing it wasn't anything too serious I said that I needed a prescription for most of my medication. We went through the long list of things that I take on a regular basis and apart from GTN spray and the cream for my eczema I needed everything. The prescription printed out and signed and then I was on my way to the chemist to get the prescription filled and walked home with a carrier bag full of pills.

I think that it was the first time that I have been to see my GP for many months and not cried at some point through the appointment. I see this as a good thing because it is a real indicator of how my mood is improving. Now I have to hope that my confidence will start returning so that I can do well at my interview next week. And while we are on the subject of the interview, I would like to thank all of you who have sent me good luck wishes. I really appreciate the fact that you have taken time out of your day to read my blog and send me a comment.

No comments: