Tuesday 28 April 2009

More Inappropriate Clothing

Following on from yesterday's post, I am going to have a moan about something else that I find somewhat embarrassing to see.

I am overweight; I admit it. Like many people who suffer from severe depression I have problems with eating properly, and I am also one of those people who unfortunately have found that certain antidepressants have caused weight gain. I pretty much remained the same weight throughout my married life. When my husband died I would have been able to wear my wedding dress without too much difficulty, which after a period of more than 20 years would have been quite an achievement. When my husband died I stopped eating; weight just fell off me and none of my clothes fitted me any more. After being diagnosed with depression I was put on an antidepressant, but after a few months it was making no difference to my mood, so a change of medication was decided upon. This was when my problems began. The new medication made a significant difference to my mood, but it also caused me to start putting on weight without me having changed my eating habits in any significant way.

At first the weight gain was not too bad; I got back to the weight that I had been for many years before, but the weight kept piling on. I joined a gym and went most mornings before I went to work, but this made no real difference; I still put on more weight. More changes in medication have meant that I no longer put on weight, but I find it extremely difficult to lose the gain that occurred all those years ago. Not working means that belonging to a gym is not financially possible, but then neither do I seem to have the energy or enthusiasm to undertake formal exercise. Perhaps this is in part to do with my advancing years, but I know that it is also due to my constantly finding it difficult to just get through the day, let alone get enthusiastic for something that is such hard work. So I walk; I walk wherever I can and I try to get out everyday if the weather is acceptable.

One thing that I have tried to do is to dress in clothes that are suitable for my size. This means that I am not going to be seen in something that is skin tight and skimpy. I try to wear things that I am comfortable in and that hopefully cover the parts that I feel most uncomfortable about.

I am not alone in being overweight. Much of the population shares this problem and we are constantly being warned that obesity is becoming one of the major health problems in this country. Unfortunately many of those who are overweight do not seem to share my embarrassment about the problem and therefore forget that they do not have a model figure and should not wear clothes that are meant for those who are slim.

Just as I hate to see men with alabaster-white legs wearing shorts, so I hate to see women with huge bums and thighs wearing skin-tight jeans, and even worse, leggings. What on earth possesses them to dress in this inappropriate way? Do they not realise just how ridiculous they look?

2 comments:

sideshow freak said...

It would be nice if fashion designers actually made clothes for real people instead of the minority of waif thin models out there.

cb said...

I'm so with you on this. I am told I wear a lot of baggy clothes because I'm a bit conscious of the extra weight.. and can't honestly imagine what possesses some people to put leggings on to leave the house..