Monday 27 April 2009

A British Phenomenon

Over the last week we have had some really lovely days. The sun has shone and at times the temperature has risen sufficiently for it not to be necessary for one to wear a winter coat, a scarf, hat and furry mittens. When I was out last Thursday it really was quite pleasant and I went out wearing a T-shirt and a light-weight jacket; it was probably the first time that I had been out without wearing a good jumper for months. Friday's weather was much the same and I was similarly dressed when I went off for psychotherapy.

It was while I was on the bus travelling to the hospital on Friday that I became aware of what I believe is a purely British phenomenon; the inappropriate wearing of shorts.

There are a number of factors that can make it inappropriate. First is the fact that its aficionados are wearing shorts when we have had but barely one day of sunshine and the temperatures are still low enough to cause goose-pimples to form on exposed flesh at the merest hint of a breeze. The second factor is that the shorts-wearer seems to be totally unaware of how ridiculous those alabaster-coloured legs look when being exposed between grey or beige shorts and short socks which are brown or navy blue in colour. But the worst factor is that most of the men wearing shorts really shouldn't expose their legs at all owing to them being thin, hairless, and shaped like matchsticks.

I don't mind a man with shapely calves, a well-shaped ankle and a little manly hairiness exposing his legs for the world to see. I prefer it if you don't wear socks, because let's face it looks silly when you do. But guys, if your legs don't meet these criteria, then don't embarrass yourself, and us, by dressing inappropriately, especially so early in the season. I bet you're not wearing shorts today in the cold and the rain!

2 comments:

alhi said...

I'm with you on that. Don't mind socks and sandals too much: it's as bad seeing skinny ankles in sandals!

Ruby Tuesday said...

I agree with you on shorts - but it's not just shorts - I cringe at how quick people are to strip off. I find myself internally screaming "JUST BECAUSE IT'S SUNNY DOESN'T MEAN IT'S ANYWHERE near WARM ENOUGH TO JUST BE WEARING A VEST!"