Tuesday 11 November 2008

I Tempted Fate

I'm afraid that I made a big mistake in writing and publishing my last post.  Talk about tempting fate.  Everything had been going well with the knitting and I was looking forward to finishing the fifth pattern repeat, but as I approached the end of the 11th row of the pattern I realised that I was a stitch short.  I did a quick count of stitches and there were only 116 when I should have had 117. The problem was that I couldn't determine where the mistake had been made so I had to start unpicking the row one stitch at a time. When I had done that I counted again and I was even more adrift. Somewhere along that row I had dropped another stitch so another row had to be undone, and then another.  I am half way along that row now and I have decided to take a break for a few minutes to regain my composure.  I hope that when I have undone this row I should have the right number of stitches on the needle, or be able to see where the mistake is so that I can correct it and carry on again. 

I can't help thinking that if I hadn't stopped knitting to take a picture of what I had completed so far and then written that post, the error may never have occurred.  It is enough to make you cry; I haven't quite got to that stage yet although if I can't find the error tonight I am going to have to put the shawl aside and do something a little easier for the rest of the evening.  Sometimes I wonder why I chose to knit this shawl in the first place.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Because you constantly take the challenge that life throws down. I really hope it comes good xx