Wednesday 12 November 2008

Panic Over

It took me a while, but I managed to unpick my knitting stitch by stitch, row by row, until I got back to a spot where I had the right number of stitches on the needle and then knit a few rows to get me to the point where I had noticed the error. So I can carry on with the knitting and still hopefully finish the centre panel over the weekend.

I have mentioned before that I started knitting lace shawls about 18 months ago and while most patterns have not caused me any significant problems, one took a number of attempts before I managed to complete the shawl. Since that time I have knitted two other shawls to that pattern without too much of a problem. However, when I was knitting it for the first time I would become depressed for days each time I had to unpick the shawl and start again. At one point I thought that I would never be able to master the pattern.

It is yet another indicator of how much better I am becoming, that even though I have had significant problems with this Shetland lace shawl, I have not got to the stage that I thought I would have to give it up and admit defeat. Through all the problems that I have had with this pattern, I have kept telling myself that knitting consists of just two basic stitches with slight variations to how those two stitches are arranged that creates the pattern. As the centre section is knitted backwards and forwards on the needles (or one needle in my case as I am using a circular needle throughout) I have only been using one of those stitches, and variations of it, so far.

I won't be getting very much knitting done today as I have a busy schedule of other activities and will be out of the house much of the day. But as I complete each pattern repeat I seem to be gaining confidence that I can knit this shawl. It is the kind of item, that in this increasingly throwaway world, can become a family heirloom, and I hope that Kelly and her family can use it for many years to come. Some Shetland lace shawls have survived for more than one hundred years, and the thought that something I have made may still be around and being used long after I am gone means that perhaps I can leave something for future generations.

No comments: