Monday 13 October 2008

Why I Didn't Write Something For World Mental Health Day

I've been a bit slack as far as posting to the blog has been concerned over the last couple of weeks. I'd like to think that it is because I haven't been able to think of anything to say, but really it's more a case of my knitting taking over.  I'm trying to get my jumper ready as quickly as possible so that I have it to wear when the really cold weather comes.

I have, in fact, started to write posts several times during the last week or two, but I have ended up deleting them because I felt that they were too controversial.  One of these was a post for World Mental Health Day, last Friday.  I still want to write a post covering the subject that I had selected, but I will have to think about it a bit more before I actually publish it.

You may wonder what it is about the post that has made me so reluctant to publish, especially as I make no secret of the fact that I suffer from mental illness and abhor the stigma that is associated with it and the discrimination that people such as myself suffer.  The problem was that I was querying the amount of money that is spent by the NHS on very expensive drugs that may help to prolong the life of someone with terminal cancer for only a few months, when that money could be used to more effect if channelled into the care and treatment of those with mental health problems.

I have determined that I will still write on the subject, but before I do I am going to do a bit more research.  I know that I will still end up upsetting some people; however, this is something that I feel strongly about, and unless those of us who are able to, speak about the problems that mental illness causes, we will never receive the treatment that we deserve.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a good reason for writing a blog is writing about things that are important to you even if you do end up upsetting people. for me, that's one of the best parts of it actually :) I look forward to your post!

cbtish said...

Yes, yes, upset people...upset me if you like!

I think part of the problem in the NHS is that the political spin in recent years reduces everything to money. You can see that kind of spin in the government's response to World Mental Health Day. But in fact good treatment for mental illness would cost less, not more. More people need to get upset in order to make that happen.