Tuesday 29 July 2008

Still Having Problems, But The Exercise Is Good For Me

I'm still having problems with my Internet connection at home, so I have to be thankful for the 14 computers that they have at my local library. It has not been too bad trying to get on one when I needed it thankfully, although now it is the school holidays it seems that the library is the hangout of choice for most of the children in the locality. Unfortunately, not necessarily for improving their reading skills. And having to walk up the road to get to the library does at least mean that I get some exercise during the day.

I mentioned in my last post about how I had not realised how much I had come to rely on my Internet connection, and now I have also realised how hooked I have become on reading my favourite blogs and somewhat surprisingly how much I actually enjoy sitting down to write a few random thoughts each day for my own blog.

I notice that while I have not been able to check up each day, that a number of my favourite bloggers are now away on holiday, or are just coming back from their travels. My hopes of a trip away this summer seem to be getting more remote, and not solely because of lack of funds. If I can't get away, this will be the first year since 1987 that I have not been to Corfu for at least a week during the summer. It is probably my favourite place on this earth, for a number of reasons, but it is also the place where the worst thing in my life happened; it is where my husband died, and it is where his ashes are buried.

We loved Corfu from the moment that we arrived there; we fell in love with the island and its people. We made many friends there, both British and Corfiot, as well as Dutch and Swiss. I am on first name terms with many of the locals, and for some reason which I cannot understand, I am regularly mistaken for a local myself and people start talking to me in Greek and can't understand why I look at them blankly.

I'm afraid that I am as bad as many other Brits because I do not speak a foreign language. I ought to be fluent in Greek by now after having visited there so many times in the last 20 years, but I'm afraid that my brain seems to have been wired up wrongly because while I have a really good command of English, I find it very difficult to learn other languages. My brain refuses to stop thinking in English so instead of being able to automatically think of what I want to say, I have to go through a major translation game in my brain before the words come out of my mouth. I think that it may also be the reason that I have problems playing musical instruments. I know how to play, I can read music, but I find it very difficult to do both things at the same time.

Still, a girl can't be perfect, can she?

No comments: