Sunday 9 May 2010

Why Do Socks Have To Be Made In Pairs?

The sock progressed well yesterday evening. I finished the leg part and actually did a few rows of the reinforced heel area before putting it down for the night.

I was very tired when I went to bed but I couldn't get to sleep straight away. I knew that I needed something to distract me and which would help to encourage the sleep to come. So I sat back in bed with my DSi playing the game that I got on Friday. It worked because after about half an hour I could actually feel myself falling asleep as I was playing the game. I put the stylus back in its slot, pushed the power button to switch the DSi off, put it down on the bedside table and the next thing I remember was waking up several hours later.

This afternoon I have been working on the sock again. The heel has been turned and I just have to pick up the last few stitches along the side of the heel flap and then I can start working on the foot of the sock and start heading towards the toes and the grafting at the end. I know that I won't get the sock finished tonight, I will probably keep stopping to watch Lewis when it starts in a few minutes time, but I will do as much as I can so that I can get to work on its pair as soon as possible because I have so much lovely sock wool waiting to be used and so many patterns to try.

So it is time to publish this post and pick up the needles so that work can progress.

4 comments:

Bippidee said...

I think because we have 2 feet, and so what would you do with 1 sock? Some people don't wear their socks in pairs though - they just wear any 2 socks together, but I don't like that. I like them to feel the same.

madsadgirl said...

It was a bit of a rhetorical question really. The problem is that much as I quite enjoy knitting socks, once I have knit one of a pair and seen how the pattern and the yarn work together, I want to start work on a different pattern and different wool.

However, I do love the feel of proper handmade socks. So much nicer than shop bought ones.

steph said...

I thought you were meant to be knitting! ;-)

Happy sleep tonight!

ilovehotchocolate said...

:) I bought a book at a craft fair near me that has patterns for knitting two socks at once: you have both ont he needles at the same time, so you knit a row on one and then the same row on the other. Have to confess I haven't tried it yet, I figured I'd master the knitting on two circular needles technique first (bonus: no making up, and can't lose the fourth needle, plus they become much more portable!) Have a bit of a passion for self striping bamboo sock wool. Baby clothes and socks are the only things I've ever finished because I get bored making anything bigger :p Athena sell socks in threes...