Sunday 14 March 2010

Working In Miniature Is Fiddly

This afternoon and evening I have been working on the doll's clothes. Much as I love knitting I really hate having to do the sewing up afterwards. I try to join a new ball at one of the edges of the piece that I am knitting so that I reduce the number of ends that I have to sew in. Unfortunately, because of the design of the doll's clothes, there are hundreds (okay, so that is a bit of an exaggeration) of ends that are having to be sewn in and then cut off.

At the moment I am working on her jacket. I have sewn in all the ends on the main part of the jacket. I have also sewn in all the ends of one of the sleeves, and sewn up the seam. Now I have to sew the sleeve to the jacket. This can be difficult enough to achieve neatly when making a garment for an adult, when you are doing it in miniature it is very fiddly. Fortunately, it will only take a few minutes to sew in now that I have it pinned into position.

I still have all the ends to sew in for the second sleeve and then it too will need to be sewn into position. Then I have the collar to affix; this also has lots of ends that need sewing in before I attach it to the jacket.

There is still a lot of work to be done, but I think that I should be able to manage it to meet the deadline that I have. I'm really looking forward to seeing the doll dressed in all her finery.

No comments: