Friday 8 May 2009

The Early Hours Of The Morning

Okay, so it is nearly 2.30 in the morning and I am still awake. I've tried to get to sleep, using all the various methods that I can think of, but sleep just will not come.

Reading is usually one of the ways that I can guarantee will send me off into the arms of Morpheus, but not tonight. I've tried light-hearted reading material, and I've tried some real academic thought-provoking stuff that will normally induce sleep after about two paragraphs. Tonight it just isn't doing the job.

I've listened to music, I've listened to relaxation and sleep tracks; but my eyes are still wide open. It looks as though I will still be awake when the alarm goes off at 6am.

I rarely use an alarm. Friday mornings are the exception of course because of going for my psychotherapy session. This is the last session, so is this the reason that I can't sleep? It's possible, but I actually feel quite calm about that at the moment. But do I? I don't have butterflies, or pterodactyls, flying around in my stomach, nor am I suffering from the shakes (another sure sign that I am very worried about something), but even though I am telling myself that things will be all right I'm not sure that there isn't some little corner of my subconscious which is working overtime keeping me awake.

I'm not going to care about it; I'm going to try to relax; I shall read; I shall listen to music; I shall get up when the alarm sounds; I shall make the most of this last session; and I will remember to thank my therapist for the improvement that he has brought about in me.

No comments: