Thursday 18 December 2008

Just A Week To Go

With just a week until Christmas Day, I am still trying to decide what to have for my Christmas dinner.  Do I make an effort and cook a roast dinner, or go for something a little more simple that can be prepared and cooked in about half an hour in one pan.

It is such a big deal cooking a roast dinner for one person, even though I always roast more vegetables than I need (potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions and aubergines) so that they can be heated in the microwave the next day or two.  My possible alternative Christmas dinner involves dicing potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and aubergines, frying them in a tiny amount of olive oil, then when they are almost cooked I add a couple of small salmon fillets which have been broken into largish flakes and cook them, adding dill, lime juice and coarse ground black pepper at the last minute.  The nice thing about this meal is that there is not much in the way of washing up after the meal.  But it is just not the same as having a roast dinner.

Whichever it turns out to be, I will break from my normal almost teetotal habits and indulge in a bottle of wine.  A bottle of a nice Australian red will be opened, and enjoyed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I'd go for the salmon option; knowing that Christmas isn't your most favourite time of the year. By going with that option you are not tied by the traditional seasonal trappings. Besides, it sounds absolutely mouthwatering; I must give it a try in the New Year. And why not open a bottle of wine; I thought perhaps Chilean rather than Oz but you have such an eclectic taste that it wouldn't matter what your final choice was. Keep posting. :-))