Tuesday 1 September 2009

New Month, New Project

September has arrived, the days are getting shorter, and it is the time of year that I usually start to think about what projects I am going to work on over the winter months. I have lots of wool in my stash, and a number of ongoing projects, but I was feeling particularly down in the dumps yesterday so I decided that I would look for a pattern to start knitting a new shawl.

I've had the wool for a few weeks now and I knew that whatever I used it for it probably needed to be knitted in stocking stitch rather than garter stitch because that is what would show up the colours best. I had though of using some of it to knit a 'Cockle Shell Scarf' but there was too much garter stitch in that, so that was crossed off the list.

A few months ago I purchased a book called Victorian Lace Today and I have been delighted with it. I already have one project underway from its pages, and plans for another (but I haven't got the wool for that yet as it is out of stock at my favourite yarn shop, The Woolly Workshop), but as I leafed through the pages I came across a pattern that I thought would be perfect. It is a large circular shawl that is mainly comprised of faggoting stitches, but which has inserts of a traditional pattern called 'Print O' the Wave' on its outer edges and is then finished off with a fairly simple edging.

Yesterday evening, while watching a film, I decided to start working on this shawl and because the pattern is so simple it is growing very quickly; having started with just 9 stitches at its centre it has now got nearly 300 stitches to each row and is already 18 inches in diameter, without it being blocked (which is the final process when knitting lace and involves wetting the knitting, squeezing out as much of the water as possible and then stretching it to shape and letting it dry).

So that you can see how the shawl is progressing I have taken a few photographs.

The Shawl so Far

A Clear View of the Faggoting

A Close Up

The needles are 4.5mm so the above photograph gives some indication of how fine laceweight wool is.

No comments: