Thursday 17 September 2009

Dropping A Stitch

It was a week ago today that I had the biopsy done on the strange area on my nose and that meant that today was the day for the removal of the single stitch that was put in the wound. One of the things that has constantly amazed me is how fine the suture thread was in comparison to others that I have had in the past, and I have to say that I have a truly impressive scar from an operation some years ago that is more than 6 inches in length and that was held together with blanket stitch and a very neat scar it is too.

Anyway, today I made my way to the surgery to see the practice nurse to have the stitch removed. As with last week, I kept my eyes very firmly closed because the last thing that I needed to see was a blade heading towards my eye. Last week, except for the terrible pain of the local anaesthetic, I didn't feel a thing, but I couldn't say the same about today.

The nurse tried to be as gentle as possible but because the suture was very firmly tied and was in an area where there wasn't much room for manoeuvre, it took several attempts to cut the stitch and the very sharp tip of the blade made contact with my nose several times before she managed to lift the knot with the tweezers, cut the stitch and then gently remove it.

The wound has healed very nicely although the area is still very red and sore, and it may be possible that more work will be needed at my next appointment at the hospital.

Now I just have to wait for the appointment letter to arrive, but bearing in mind that the last letter arrived after my appointment and the mail in London is completely up the creek because of the frequent strikes by the postal workers, I will ring the hospital next week to confirm when my appointment is going to be so that I make sure that I don't miss it.

1 comment:

Lily said...

Sounds ouchie! I hope it stops being sore soon! Can you manage to wear your glasses properly yet?