Tuesday 23 December 2008

Not Quite So Traumatic Tuesday

Today hasn't been quite as bad as yesterday, but it had its moments.  I didn't have the perfect night's sleep, but it was good enough for me to feel reasonably okay by the time that I got up.  I had to collect a parcel from the local sorting office as I had missed the postman when he called yesterday morning; I was at the local Post Office posting a parcel.  I collected the parcel and then headed for Sainsbury's to get the few bits of shopping that I wanted.  I decided to get the bus home rather than walk, only because the shopping turned out to be a bit heavier and more unwieldy than I had expected.

I hadn't been home long before the doorbell rang.  It was the postman with another parcel.  Then, having wrapped up the presents and written the cards for next door, I went to deliver them.  My next door neighbour had been to the dentist this morning and that coupled with a streaming cold meant that she wasn't looking her best. Anyway, we had a quick chat and she gave me a parcel that had been left for me while I was out shopping. Anyone would think it was Christmas, the number of parcels that I have been getting over the last few days.

I took the parcel home and opened it.  I knew what it was as soon as I saw it.  It was my new Samsung Notebook.  I have a desktop PC, and a laptop, but the laptop is quite heavy and not very convenient to take with me when I go to study in the library or if I go away anywhere, so I had decided to treat myself to this Notebook for just those purposes.  I sat down with it, inserted the battery, connected it to the mains and started to set it up.

A few minutes later it was ready for me to start trying things out. It connected to my wireless network very quickly, and I was soon surfing the net, then I installed the office applications that came with it (they came loaded onto a USB dongle because the Notebook doesn't have a disk drive).  So the next thing was to have a look at the applications to see what was there.

Lunch was a little late today because of my having been playing with my new toy, but the bacon sandwich was well worth waiting for.  I decided to watch the QI Christmas Special on BBC iPlayer while I was eating my lunch as I had missed the programme last night.  Before long I found myself choking on my sandwich because I could not stop laughing.  I don't think that I have laughed so much for a very long time, and I may watch it again later just to see if it has the same effect on me.

I've done a bit of knitting this afternoon, and I shall do some more this evening, but I thought that I had better write a quick post before settling down for an evening of knitting and watching the box.

Yes, this post has been brought to you with the help of my new Notebook.  I can see it getting quite a bit of use.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am after a notebook and may have a little search around for one in the shops after Christmas... :)

Sounds like it was a good day, I've done the shopping and I am still alive although my feet are aching! lol

Alison
x