Thursday 14 August 2008

I've Felt Strange Today

I haven't been feeling brilliant today. I didn't feel wonderful when I woke this morning and it took a a great deal of effort to force myself out of bed. Eventually I ran a bath, and then enjoyed a good long soak; one of life's little luxuries as far as I am concerned, which can be a remedy to many of life's problems. But today, it made no difference.

I pottered around doing things this morning, not really achieving very much. Breakfast wasn't eaten until nearly 11am because I just never got round to it. By 1pm I felt so strange that I thought that the best thing that I could do was to go and lie on the bed for half an hour; this often helps me get going again. But I didn't lie there for half an hour. As soon as my head hit the pillow I fell asleep and remained so until 4pm, when I was woken but a very large rumble of thunder. I sat up, and immediately laid down again. For the first time in about four or five years I had a migraine.

I used to suffer migraines frequently, but as I grew older they became less frequent, but always very debilitating. To have one again after so long was a bit of a surprise. I took some paracetamol, not always guaranteed to work but all that I had, and lay down again for half an hour. When I opened my eyes again, I sat up gingerly to find that the migraine had gone. No throbbing head, no feeling of nausea, no spots before the eyes; it really had gone.

I have to assume that the reason that I was feeling so strange earlier was that I was suffering the precursor of the migraine. What triggered it is a mystery because I had not eaten anything different yesterday to what I have been eating for a number of days. My best guess is that the weather and atmospheric conditions of the previous 24 hours may have been the reason. But it doesn't matter, because the pain has gone and I am feeling much better. Not exactly raring to go and run a marathon, but not needing to curl up in a ball and die either.

It makes a change to be feeling bad and it not be depression that has caused it.

No comments: